Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Call of Duty: The Day the Reaper Played

I readied myself. The battlefield was littered with soldiers, each with glowing names floating above their helmeted heads. The timer counted down. 15...I checked my weapon, it was good...10...I looked at my scorestreaks, and had everything I needed. A UAV to tell me where the enemies were, a care package to give me scorestreaks I couldn't get on my own, and a turret to take care of danger when I wasn't around. My eyes glared at the screen and my fingers tightened around the controller.
3...2...1...I was the leader of the Frostbyte clan...and now I must...BAM! Immediately a bullet trail whistled through my collapsing body. I saw the perpetrator, with name provided graciously on my screen showing my untimely death in glorious slow motion. I skipped it immediately and reentered the fray.
My boots hit the ground hard as I ran up to the building, jumped onto the roof with elegant grace. I knew my skill level...these other guys wouldn't stand a...BAM! My soldier's body clumsily fell into a dead heap on the floor. Again, the camera closed in on the ender of my precious life...but this time I skipped it. I was bound and determined to win this free for all engagement. With a harsh battle cry I ran into battle, and mercilessly shot down my foe. A pleasant "+ 100" appeared above my fallen adversary.
1 kill down, 29 to go. Three minutes into the game, I looked down at the leaderboard. I knew that I was on top after I shot down a few other stragglers, but what I saw surprised me immensely. Before I could take it all in, my soldier flew threw the air and landed on his face. Someone managed to get 26 kills, and I sat on 3.
With a reinvigorated sense of purpose I clenched the controller tighter, and made a sly comment about snipers in call of duty, when suddenly my soldier ballet danced across the sand. I skipped the mocking replay and continued. Suddenly, without warning someone punched me off the roof. When I spawned again, I was more cautious, and walked slowly around the desert looking for my opponents. Sadly, I was too slow, and without warning a giant laser beam from space demolished my poor soldier, leaving him in a pixelated heap on the floor.
Frustration welled within me as I respawned again, knowing the difficulty I faced. Someone sat on 29 kills, and I was on 3. They were going to win if I didn't do something about it. I ran onto the battlefield, shooting everything that moved, until suddenly I was desperately confused. A soldier jumped straight up in the air and spun continuously like a ballet dancer from the Cirque de Soleil.
A shot would go off here and there, but whenever he took aim he spun around and did a weird dance of destruction. I laughed and kept going about my mission. This joker is trying to get a kill someone while jumping around like some kind of escaped circus clown. I am going to win this the way it was meant to be...BAM! Another sniper hiding in the corner of the room shot in a place that was never meant to be entered. Thanks...I thought to myself as I skipped the replay.
Finally, the timer was ticking down and I managed a couple of more kills under my belt. I ran towards my opponent when suddenly, the screen went grey and the pleasant words, "YOU LOSE" stretched across the top of my screen. I growled in disgust as I saw that the prancing ballerina sniper had won the round somehow, and I saw my own lowly position at the bottom of the leaderboard. I looked down the list of peoples kills and deaths...and then wanted to cry tears of sorrow as I looked upon my own.
After all of my hard earned work and dedication to the game of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, after starting my own clan and advertising how we were going to dominate the virtual landscape, after 48 levels of play...I sat on the most excruciating K/D ratio ever known to mankind. I saw my 5 kills, which I was aware of...but then I noticed that the grim reaper had paid me 34 visits in one round.
I learned today that everyone has bad days...but no one can say they've died 34 times...unless they are me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *