Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The Fight of the Flu


Photo Credit: www.dreamstime.com

Deep in the bowels of my dorm room, I tried to sleep. My body ached and trembled as I rolled over, catching hints of peaceful rest between violent coughs and searing headaches. It all happened so fast that I was unable to see the signs.
Yes, I had cold symptoms for days, but that is normal with the changing weather and temperature fluctuation that is common in South Carolina. I pushed on through the coughs and sore throat only to run straight into a giant wall of symptoms that lay my body flat on it's back for the past three days.
The only relief I had from my forced slumber was a couple of daily commutes to the toilet, and then a stumbling return to my bed. It seemed as though the whole week would be spent in this agonizing anguish, seeing the light drizzle of rain pattering outside my window, and for once in my life wanting to be out in it instead of in the persistent melancholy of my lonely residence.
Even amidst the pain and exhaustion that comes with such a firm grip of the flu, I managed to get things done. I read all of my book for a class, took an exam, did a quiz, and managed to write an article review all within the few days that this dreadful virus kept me prisoner.
It was an odd prison, one that felt equally comforting and disjointing, as if this week did not exist at school, but in some persistent, never ending dream. Every moment I was awake I longed for rest, and in my times of rest I dreamed of what I would do once I woke up again.
One thing I did mange to do during my few days of sickness and self-sustained quarantine was to reflect on life. Life threw me a curveball, making me miss class and three days of work, but through it all I realized that I had managed to hit a home run. My psychological health, though partially damaged by the isolation and desperate need to feel better by the end of the week, was still mostly positive, and even in the pit of darkest symptoms I still tried to remain upbeat...when I wasn't sleeping.
So for all those who are going through sickness remember this. You will feel better eventually, and in the time of depression that comes with a very serious sickness, think about the many things there are to look forward to once it has run it's course. A flu is natural. It will come, wreck the body like an unwanted house guest, and then leave silently in the night. Sooner or later, you will feel better and not realize when the transition took place. Soon, you will be outside joking around with people and eating pizza with your friends again.
From one sick person to others who may read this, there may be a day when sickness can conquer us and make us bow to it's diseased will...but today is not that day! Sorry Aragorn...I stole your line. Sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *